Film Screening - TEN YEARS 十年 (2015)
Time & Location
About the Event
TEN YEARS 十年 (2015)
“Best Film” of the 35th Hong Kong Film Awards, Ten Years is a harrowing, dystopian fiction film. It is 2025, and Cantonese cuisine and language are dying, "youth guards" report people using banned words such as "local", and a national security law looms large. Five brilliantly crafted segments, each by a different director, make up this dark and brilliant political satire.
1. Extras (浮瓜) directed by Kwok Zune
2. Season of the End (冬蟬) directed by Wong Fei-pang
3. Dialect (方言) directed by Jevons Au
4. Self-immolator (自焚者) directed by Chow Kwun-Wai
5. Local Egg (本地蛋) directed by Ng Ka-Leung
Language: Cantonese (with English subtitle)
Running time: 104 minutes
Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ten_years_2015
After the movie, there will be a Q&A session with the producer, director and an activist.
* Due to the film's sensitive political themes, mainland Chinese authorities censored reports mentioning Ten Years except in terms of condemnation. State television channels and major internet sites were prohibited from broadcasting the 35th Hong Kong Film Awards live as the film was nominated for Best Film, which it eventually won.
6:30 – 7:00pm: Reception
7:00 – 8:50pm: Film Screening
8:50 – 9:30pm: Panel discussion
- Andrew Choi - Producer (via video conferencing)
- Jevons Au - Director (via video conferencing)
- Candy Wong - NY4HK activist volunteer
Premier Sponsor: Apple Daily (North America), Golden Scene Company Limited
Food Sponsor: Ocka Treats
Aside from the ticket + cookie bundle, Ocka Treats will have limited freedom cookies (lemon flavor in yellow umbrella or ribbon shapes) for sale at the event. Proceeds will be donated to Hong Kong Free Press, Standard News, and 612 Humanitarian Relief Fund (612人道支援基金).
- Sold OutTix + 1 Umbrella Shape Cookie$7$70$0
- Sold OutTix + 5 Umbrella Shaped Cookie$22$220$0
- Sold OutRegular Admission$2$20$0
- WAIT LIST$0$00$0